It’s Spring! The time of new growth, sunshine, fresh air and renewed energy. Although some of us can feel a bit like slugs after Winter’s go slow and comfort food galore. A great way to get moving again is to eat for energy. Try these ideas so you can start bouncing like a tigger…
Eat Small, Regular Meals
In winter we tend to eat larger heavier meals. Stepping into Spring it’s time to cut back on your portion sizes. Try eating smaller but more regular meals to sustain you through the day. Eat veggies throughout the day and add in some protein with every meal and snack to energise your body. Think eggs, nuts and seeds, lentils and legumes, lean meats and tuna. Protein will help you avoid that afternoon sugar craving too. Bonus!
Greens are the most nutritious food available to us, but often what we eat least. Adding greens to your daily diet is like sending a big fat hug to every cell in your body. An easy way to get your daily greens? Drink Them!
- 1 cup packed baby spinach leaves
- ¼ bunch fresh mint
- 1 banana
- 3 tbsp cacao nibs
- Splash vanilla essence
- 1 cup oat milk
- ½ cup coconut water
Put everything in a blender and whizz til it’s smooth.
Jolly Green (Energy) Giants
- Green tea is a great alternative to coffee. It gets your metabolism going and helps with both energy and weight loss.
- Spirulina – the best-kept secret! This wholefood is a fantastic natural energy boost, detoxifier and nutrition booster! Add it to your green shakes.
Drink to your success:
- Add a slice of lemon and a knob of ginger to some warm water for your morning drink. This gets your gastric juices going and wakes up your liver for that all important spring detox!
- Stay hydrated – dehydration is a major cause of tiredness, so keep up your two litres of water a day. Water also helps your body rid itself of toxins, and cleans your internal environment.
Eat Good Fats
This means avocado, eggs, organic full fat dairy, coconut, nuts and seeds, organic meats and fish. All the cells in our body need good healthy fats to survive and create energy. Adding a handful of nuts into your daily diet is a great way to get your fat on! Or try this delicious mousse:
- 2 ½ cups frozen mixed berries
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 dates
- 165ml coconut cream or milk
Blend in a food processor or blender, top with cacao nibs and enjoy!